View Single Post
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 3rd March 2014
More noise than signal

Hello, and welcome!

Your post appears to have been started in the wrong subforum, as you mentioned OpenBSD and this is a FreeBSD subforum. I'm sure one of the admins will move it shortly.
Quote:
I've been reading so many FAQs and so many man pages and tutorials
I'd be careful about any information obtained from unofficial sources, as it often out of date or misleading in other ways. If you do use information obtained from such sources ... including this site ... please verify it with official documentation: the FAQ and the applicable man pages. Yes, it is a lot of reading.
Quote:
I just need to know the commands to access and view the CD-ROM drive.
With OpenBSD, devices are named by device type, then a number. Mass storage devices, such as hard drives, also append a partition letter. This is also true with optical devices. So for CDs or DVDs with filesystems on them, you must include a partition letter. With OpenBSD, partition "c" is reserved and is always used when you wish to address the entire drive. Therefore, to mount a CD or DVD that contains a standard CD filesystem (CD9660) from your first (or only) optical drive, and attach it to the "/mnt" directory structure, you would issue:

# mount /dev/cd0c /mnt

Please note that the "#" above is a convention directing the admin to issue the command as the superuser, or "root". It is best practice to avoid logging on as root, using either sudo(8) or su(1) to issue superuser commands or obtain a root shell.
Quote:
I tried using DCHP to configure internet access but it hasn't worked
We could help, if we knew what commands you had issued and their results. Since we can't see over your shoulder as you make those attempts, we can only use the information you provide. In general, for wired connections, all you need is:

# dhclient <NIC>

But recognizing your device among the devices listed in the output of an ifconfig command can be daunting for the new user. Note that wireless networks require a little more work. Let us know more details about your issue, and we may be able to provide more assistance.