View Single Post
Old 15th October 2008
New User

Default Possible clues

Where some of the problem lies is what updates have been installed prior to attempting to install sp3. With a clean install of XP, if one first updates to IE6 and then does a Windows update it usually goes painlessly. Ditto for a machine that has been kept up to date as the updates became available. On the other hand, if a system has a few missing updates sp3 either chokes or updates (which one depends on factors that I am unaware of right now). If it successfully updates the problems are not over. Subsequent Windows update scans detects the previously mentioned missing (uninstalled) updates and downloads them. When an attempt to install them is made they show up as a failed update. The reason being is that they were included in sp3. The most irritating part of all this is the repeated reminder that "software is ready to be installed on your computer", which are the updates mentioned above and therefore will not install.
These are things I figured out when installing XP (with Boot Camp) on an iMac as well as on my multi-purpose box where Windows/FreeBSD and Solaris happily co-exist.