View Single Post
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 15th July 2011
More noise than signal

Quote:
How can I do this with open BSD?
The ramdisk kernel (bsd.rd) functions without mounting any physical drives. This is why it's called the "ramdisk kernel". Using it, an admin can reinstall or upgrade, including an upgrade-in-place of the installed system, which replaces boot blocks, kernels, and userland libraries and executables (/bin, /sbin, /usr/bin, /usr/lib, /usr/sbin, /usr/libexec, and I'm sure a few other structures I've forgotten).

An admin can also use the ramdisk kernel to restore a complete system from backup, assuming of course, that the admin has invested the time to learn how to do so. Learning how restore a complete system to a "bare" computer should be at the top of your priority list, if you have one. HINT: If you don't have a spare computer, virtual machines are an easy way to practice and learn. You may find the qemu package helpful, if you want to run a virtual machine with OpenBSD as the host.

Obviously, you could boot the installed bsd.rd kernel, or, boot the ramdisk kernel from standard installation media: diskette, cd, or network.