View Single Post
  #6   (View Single Post)  
Old 4th October 2010
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tehsean View Post
I was just starting this thread to collect some success stories about people using OpenBSD on laptops / computers subnotebook or smaller.
At this point, i386 netbooks are fairly mainstream, so basic functionality shouldn't be an issue. Wireless may or may not work, but this isn't altogether surprising.
  • I have one of the original 7-inch Asus 701 Eee PC's, & it works fine outside of wireless.
  • I also have an 9-inch HP mini. While someone on misc@ claimed everything worked (including wireless), everything worked for me except for wireless. Comparing my dmesg(8) output against what was posted on misc@, I had a newer BIOS & a different wireless chipset.
Manufacturers do not always use the same components throughout a model's lifetime. They are at the mercy of their suppliers, & manufacturers tend to go with where they can get the best price.

So for those in the market for new hardware, either take a USB drive configured to install OpenBSD, take one of jggimi's Live CD's, or do business with vendors who will take the laptop/netbook back with a RMA. However, be sure to understand the restrictions/requirements of the return policy before purchasing.