View Single Post
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 8th March 2011
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by shep View Post
Is this correct and after a suitable period of testing will the firefox35 port be removed?
The OpenBSD project works on developers championing their chosen causes. Kurt Miller was the primary proponent of Java on OpenBSD, & did a lot of work to get the 1.4 - 1.7 JDK's to work. I read somewhere that Kurt has gotten busy on other things, & so some things are languishing until someone steps up & champions the cause again.
Quote:
There is work on the openjdk port. Is it a goal to get the icedtea-plugin working?
The following ports@ thread says a lot:

http://marc.info/?l=openbsd-ports&w=...6+troubles&q=b

Discussion is still in the stage of saying it should be done.
Quote:
I have been looking at Current packages and was wondering if there is pattern to the binary builds in current.
Builds of selected (not all...) ports are done periodically throughout the development phase, yet there are times when the packages can lag behind snapshots. Sometimes resorting to building has to be done, but it isn't altogether frequent. It all depends upon where the project is at the moment when you need the packages, & what packages you use. This is a cost of running -current.
Quote:
During the two month code freeze for a new release do binary builds continue or does one rely on ports?
Perhaps others will chime in. I don't watch -current packages since I build what I need when I need it. The pattern I have fallen into is to build the system starting from a snapshot followed by building whatever ports I use. The windows I have for updating boxes is frequently very short, so I don't always have the luxury of waiting for new synchronized packages to arrive, but this is a personal choice. Your expectations, needs & usage patterns may be different from mine.