View Single Post
Old 31st August 2010
Port Guard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oko View Post
You mean binary blob driver? Good luck with it.
Thanks for the well wishes, but it is working excellent over here and has been ever time I've used it. Using it on amd64 actually and have never had a panic or an issue. VDPAU is truly a wonderful thing when watching movies while keeping the laptop's temp down, drawing less power, and extending the battery life.

Quote:
I fail to see how zfs would be useful for a typical desktop user.
Snapshots have saved my butt many a times. Compression saves space. Recovery from power outages is MUCH better. We typical users typically make some errors so fixing our mistakes through a rollback or running out of battery/ losing power without buying a UPS happens. Add in multiple drives and self-healing is great.

Quote:
On another hand udf (blue ray, dvd) is for most desktop users very important. OpenBSD has second to none support for udf file system (it is better than Windows support).
Well according to wikipedia (take that with a grain of salt) windows vista and 7 supports it all.

Quote:
You can read cvs commits. Having a great audio server in the base is also a big + for OpenBSD.
It definitely is.

Quote:
You are not very familiar with OpenBSD...
I already posted my lack of knowledge in terms of ahci and ncq in regard to openbsd which BSDfan666 pointed out, and I provided a link to when it was added.
Quote:
I fail to see how FreeBSD supports Flash.
It supports flash in that every single website I go to that has flash works perfectly with version 10 of adobe's flash implementation.

Quote:
It is dead for all practical purposes. If he needs Flash Windows is the way to go.
Damn you are so right. Wait: http://www.daemonforums.org/showthread.php?t=2723
Quote:
Java barely works on FreeBSD on another hand the latest Icedtea is ported to NetBSD. Work is in progress on OpenBSD. Support for native SUN Java works far better on OpenBSD than on FreeBSD but that is beyond the point.
The diablo plugin, though very old with security holes, is the only thing of all of those that works with an online java app my college uses for registering for classes. Work is also in progress for FreeBSD to port the latest icedtea. How would you quantify "far better" of the native sun java? They both haven't been updated for two years .

An aside, I love both, and was merely pointing out what in day to day desktop usage I really enjoyed FreeBSD having over OpenBSD.

Cheers