View Single Post
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 6th April 2012
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwp View Post
Does anyone know if such a project already exists so I may join it?
Welcome!

Earlier in OpenBSD's history, binary compatibility was important given that the number of applications officially ported to the operating system was so small. Today, this isn't as critical. In fact, a number of compatibility layers have been removed.

Also in comparison to Linux, the OpenBSD project is small, & the project developers work as a relatively cohesive group under Theo de Raadt's direction. All kernel work is done by the project proper.

OpenBSD's culture is based on the fact that the project's target audience is the project developers themselves. What speaks loudest is source code. The project is open to outside contributions, but they will be scrutinized in the same manner as code already committed to source control.

I say all of this being an outsider myself. We do find a few project developers reading this forum on occasion, & there are a few here who have contributed ports, but in general, this site is an assembly of professionals, enthusiasts & newcomers to the operating system -- none will any official connection to the OpenBSD project itself.

My recommendation is
  • Study the source code.
  • Read the official mailing lists -- especially source-changes@, tech@ & misc@.
  • As your knowledge matures, you may find things which can be improved. Submit diff's. If & as they are accepted, you will begin establishing credibility. This will help as you submit larger diff's involving Linux compatibility.
It's really that simple & that hard together at the same time.

I would not recommend posting on the mailing lists that you want to do this & expect a constructive response. On occasion there are those that take on the world, but rarely are these followed by code submissions. You might consider contacting Theo privately. I have no idea as to whether he would respond, but I suspect that any contact would be treated with more attention if a code diff were attached.