View Single Post
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 30th December 2010
Package Pilot

Quote:
What's the problem???
Are we on the same page? Did you notice that I did not specify a block size for neither OS and still Arch ran at 71 MB/s and FreeBSD 8.1 ran at approx 9 MB/s. Even at default 512 in the man pages, this had taken way too long (4 ½ HOURS vs ½ HOUR).

If you get around 14MB/s on your OpenBSD system and Arch plus Fedora get 71 MB/s and better ... Don't this tell you something is lagging and there may be a possible fix elsewhere in the system. They both use the same open-source dd code I believe, so it seems like it's a BSD I/O thing or Arch and Fedora both has a higher default, but not likely. I still think for what I remember, this did not happen with FreeBSD 8.0.

I would like to bump it up a bit but this is not an average dd command. It's using gZip and I'm not sure where to place the numbers like bs=1M to this appending type dd command. One screw up and my work would be gone! So I ask.

dd if=/dev/ad4s1 | gzip -c | split -b 3500m - /12/file-name.gz.

You may have a point... Arch and Fedora could have higher default build-in if one do not specify a block size, but if not than what? I don't like overlook anything I use. I'll do an search because after noticing this for over a full year I need to get to the bottom of this.