View Single Post
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 2nd July 2008
More noise than signal

spamd(8):

The spamd daemon is designed to operate with a PF ruleset. It uses few resources, so I believe that unless you are managing hundreds of thousands of users, your Soekris box is likely a good candidate. If you are concerned about it at all, you could also run spamd on the same OS as your MTA.

See this 2005 presentation from Bob Beck: http://www.openbsd.org/papers/bsdcan05-spamd/

Mail Transfer Agents (e-mail servers):

I use sendmail for my MTA, but that's because I'm lazy. Many people have their favorites. Sendmail isn't anyone's favorite, but it is built-in.

For Mail User Agents (e-mail clients), you can use anything you want. From a shell, I like mutt, as it manages threads wonderfully. Note that mutt is is console based so it doesn't do html. (You can save html components of e-mail if you need to view it.) You can set up your MTA to provide (or integrate with) IMAP or POP, so you could use any client you wanted ... even MS Outlook if you desired.

For browser-based mail I use openwebmail, but again, you can pick and choose anything you want there, assuming there's a port/package for it.