View Single Post
  #5   (View Single Post)  
Old 2nd March 2010
Shell Scout

Well, despite your explanations it didn't work

That is: boot0cfg was to complicated for me as a noob

But since I messed up my FBSD installation anyway I reinstalled it (on the separate, second, HDD). Since I want to arrive at dual boot XP and FBSD and taking into account that Truecrypt doesn't like anything else but the windows boot loader, this is where I stand now:
1. fixboot & fixmbr fixed the XP boot up on HDD1.
2. Reinstalled FBSD 8 on HDD2, choose 'standard' for the boot manager meaning no bootmanager on the HDD1. So FBSD 8 is on HDD2 although I can't boot it right now.

According to the attached picture I now need in some way achieve that I have a bootmanager on a partition (on HDD1 I assume), but I have no clue how to do that. The picture talkes about grub, but actually I don't understand it, since a boot manager has to be in the MBR, not in partition, in order to work

Could you - or anybody else - suggest me how I proceed to keep the normal XP boot loader since TC requires that, and in addition to get 'a boot manager in a partition' that will recognize FBSD? Of course, I am yet again in dept for help

EDIT: the board wants only very tiny pictures so I have to use an external host for the screenshots: