View Single Post
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 13th February 2010
Administrator

Quote:
Why a multiple slice install?

There is 8 labels restriction per slice (at least for the disklabel or bsdlabel utility).
The glabel man page doesn't mention any limit in number of glabel'led partitions.
During the growing pains of the FreebSD 5.x series, I became am more focussed on OpenBSD, so I have never used glabel yet.
FreeBSD 8.0-RELEASE supports up to 26 partitions in bsdlabel:
http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/c...er/084949.html

Quote:
AFter changing the active partition from slice 2 to slice 1, you reboot and are in an "fixit" environment where you can (I am willing to bet on it) follow the Ultra-Modern FreeBSD Install with YANFS (vermaden way)
Heh, nice name

I would also consider using remotely controlled power switch, if you end up in kernel panic, then you will have to move your ass these 200km Also, great idea with selecting which one to boot by only switching the ACTIVE flag on slice.

Quote:
Does this sound like a good plan? I don't mean the bet, but the idea of using a mini-FBSD to create the equivalent of a Fixit or Rescue CD environment.
You should propably be able to use gmirror for that, for example, you need to make some bigger changes or even full reinstall, you detach one of the drives from gmirror, then boot one of the degraded ones, then wipe the second one, install everything there, reboot into just wiped out/installed new version, destroy the old degraded gmirror and create new gmirror

Linux is not UNIX! Face it! It is not an insult. It is fact: GNU is a recursive acronym for “GNU's Not UNIX”.
vermaden's: links resources deviantart spreadbsd