View Single Post
  #4   (View Single Post)  
Old 5th May 2008
Risen from the ashes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grogan View Post
I have an Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 CPU and was wondering if there was a better cpu type than "Hammer" to use for this processor?
AMD released their 64-bit CPU extensions first, and were the first supported by FreeBSD. Hence, the FreeBSD port to 64-bit x86 is called "amd64" and the CPU class in the kernel is called "HAMMER". AMD's Hammer class of CPUs were the first ones to support 64-bit (Sledgehammer, Clawhammer, and one other hammer).

Hence, in the kernel config, the correct cpu entry to use is HAMMER, for all 64-bit x86 CPUs.

Quote:
Is it even possible to choose others for this arch?
No.

Quote:
I configured and built my kernel and it seems to run just fine but there's always that nagging doubt that I could have used something better
Well, you could have used a real amd64 CPU from AMD.

Quote:
This is what I get from dmesg (looks ok to me... detected as a K8-class)
K8 was the name given to the Hammer family of CPUs by AMD. It followed the K7. Just as every Intel CPU since the PentiumPro has been an "i686-class" CPU, so has every CPU from AMD since the Athlon64 been a "K8-class" CPU. Intel and AMD CPUs running in 64-bit mode are considered "K8-class" while Intel and AMD CPUs running in 32-bit mode are considered "i686-class".

Help for FreeBSD: Handbook, FAQ, man pages, mailing lists.