View Single Post
  #1   (View Single Post)  
Old 29th June 2014
ISO Quartermaster

Default Does the OpenBSD support well AMD's APU hardware?

Hello,
I am a student from Poland (country in Central Europe) and I would love to use OpenBSD everyday. I must have Windows operating system too. I must have it because of Autodesk's Inventor and Autocad software (in future probably also SolidWorks) and Ansys and so on. For that software I need something more powerful than Intel's GPU (not only for performance but also for quality). Today I have laptop with Optimus (Intel's GPU + Nvidia's GPU, if Nvidia's GPU renders something, Intel's GPU is proxy). It works well under Windows. Under Linux Intel's GPU works well, Nvidia's GPU is by default powered off. I can use it by manually typed commands. I can not do anything in BIOS to turn off Nvidia's GPU.
OpenBSD can not turn off my Nvidia's GPU (despite the fact that it not renders or passes by anything) and just consumes a lot of energy from battery and heats my laptop.
So I would consider buying a new laptop with AMD APU if it is supported well by OpenBSD and not heats laptop to high temperatures. Does anybody have experience with AMD APU's on OpenBSD and can let me know if it performs well?
I know for a lot of you buying laptop is relatively more affordable. Please consider that in Poland we have the same (or even a bit higher) prices of electronics and considerably lower earnings, so I don't want to make a mistake and buy hardware based on my wrong opinion about support of AMD's GPUs with OpenBSD.
I don't posted this topic in „General Hardware” because I am particularly interested in OpenBSD support, but if you consider it should land there please place this topic there.