View Single Post
  #2   (View Single Post)  
Old 14th July 2011
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by plexter View Post
I'm trying to run "webalizer" for OpenBSD.
Which version of OpenBSD is this, & did you install Webalizer through packages, ports, or did you download this from somewhere else? This is basic information which should be provided when seeking support.
Quote:
But for some reason I cannot get it to read my log file for ProFTPd.
I don't use Webalizer, but in reading through OpenPort's description, it appears that the log file(s) need to exist before Webalizer can analyze them. You should verify for yourself that this is a correct statement.
Quote:
I just get:

Code:
Skipping Bad Record
If Webalizer does expect log files to exist a priori (beforehand), the next step you need to take is to isolate what logging statement is giving it fits. I would suggest:
  1. perusing ProFTPd's log file to determine what atomic actions were taken.
  2. move/rename the current log file.
  3. restart ProFTP & perform whatever ProFTP action is necessary to generate a log message specific to a chosen action.
  4. run Webalizer on this log file containing this single action. Determine whether Webalizer works with this limited data set or not. If Webalizer appears to work, start again with #2 above with a different ProFTP action seen in the original log file(s).
Yes, this may be laborious work, but until you can pinpoint what the offending log message/action is, there isn't much anyone can do for you. It may be that ProFTP is writing an errant character or failing to write a necessary character, but it's in your court to figure this out.