View Single Post
Old 16th April 2009
Port Guard

Quote:
Originally Posted by jggimi View Post
Lots of ways to tell what kernel you're running. During the boot itself, if you're nervous, you can use "boot -c" at the boot> prompt, which will stop the kernel after the first few messages, to enter the user kernel configurator. Use "quit" at the UKC> prompt to continue after confirmation of the kernel you are running.

Once up, the easiest way to see what you're running is to use "sysctl kern.version". You could use "dmesg" but ... dmesg's wrap, and if you are rebooting a system with a BIOS that does not clear RAM, you may have multiple dmesg's to sort through. On a freshly powered up system, "dmesg|head -3" should work. The sysctl always works, however.
thank you

OpenBSD 4.4-stable (GENERIC) #0

thanks for your easy help, the fellas at #openbsd on freenode are quite less helpful.

when i try to install opera with ports it stalls after it gets to 100%, don't know the reason why but I guess i'll have to find an alternative. (its not just opera, it did it for xfce4 too but i can just use pkg_add for it, opera i don't think it's on any package lists right?)

Last edited by ax0; 16th April 2009 at 03:14 AM.