View Single Post
Old 25th October 2015
Snoozing

Default ARM support

I used FreeBSD pretty exlusively for about ten years. Recently, I've switched to NetBSD. There are a few reasons. NetBSD is ahead of FreeBSD when it comes to the ARM architecture. AFAIK, the only ARM architecture on which FreeBSD supports HDMI at this point is the Beagle board. So, I have an ARM tablet (Odroid) that I run NetBSD on. Then, when I run NetBSD on my Desktop i386, I have matching systems (in most ways - such as UI, etc). This is convenient. I run the i3 tiling window manager on both, and that's a good match for tablets.

Another nice thing about NetBSD is that Xorg is packaged in the ISO and installed by default by the installer. FreeBSD always required an extra step (well, it was not an extra step in the earlier days, but it is now).

All in all, pkgsrc + pkgin is about on par with FreeBSD's ports and new pkg system, but that is a recent thing for FreeBSD.

I think pulse audio is a little tricky to set up on NetBSD. It's so tied into the Linux theme of things. I use port audio on NetBSD, and it works with my apps - with no extra tweaking needed - pretty much out of the box.