View Single Post
Old 3rd August 2008
Spam Deminer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Werpon View Post
What GPL achieves is avoiding anybody else to "lock" the code and to profit from it without giving anything back. I still remember how several months ago Theo deRaadt became so angry towards Linux distros and other vendors because they weren't giving anything back to OpenSSH. Well it's their prerogative according to the license.

In other words, the GPL seeks freedom for final users and developers, and achieves it with a greater success than the BSD license. Furthermore, most open source / free software developers prefer it (just count the successful projects). I think it has something to do with nobody else making a profit from your hard work, and I understand it.
This reminds of Debian forums. You sound like a GNU zealot. GPL only keeps the original code free in the face of commercialization.