View Single Post
  #4   (View Single Post)  
Old 21st June 2010
New User

Thanks for your suggestions! Unfortunately I didn't mention in my first post that I don't want to spend too much money on the hardware. If I would be willing to do that, I suppose I would just order the system I wanted.

When it comes to AMD, I believe the only processor that supports ECC, is Opteron. Building a system around a low power Opteron would cost more than I'm willing to spend. I'm afraid the same also goes for Xenon.

Performance wise my requirements are very low, an Atom based system would be quite sufficient. Even the old Via Eden system I mentioned (MSI Fuzzy CX700/CX700D), would probably be sufficient, but I need a system that supports more memory. The reason for this is that I plan to use big disks under OpenBSD, which requires one to have at least 1 GB of memory, in order to be able to run fsck smoothly when something goes wrong. The MSI board does support 1 GB of memory, but the video adapter grabs some of it.

While writing the previous paragraph, I came across this site according to which the MSI board actually would support 2 GB of memory (I can't post the full URL as I haven't got enough posts):
en.kioskea.net/guide/952659-msi-ms-9802
As it however isn't the board's or cpu/chipset's manufacturer's site, I'm not totally convinced of the information’s accuracy.

Not that it gives any value to this conversation, but I did find another cheap low power board that supports ECC memory, which is VIA’s IVP-7500. It’s however a segment board, so finding a case for it could be difficult. Its cpu/memory specs aren’t any better than the MSI board’s either.
While searching for a suitable board, I’ve also got the feeling that VIA’s VB8002 board might support ECC memory, as it uses a chipset (CX700) that supports it and the VIA Nano also supports ECC memory as far as I know. Sadly, this feature isn’t mentioned in the board’s documentation, so I don’t know if it’s enabled or would work properly.