View Single Post
Old 31st December 2017
More noise than signal

Quote:
Originally Posted by philo_neo71 View Post
... the Gnome session works but the desktop is not stable and loops on the session (login).
I am no error on the /var/log/Xorg.0.log....
If problems continue after you have corrected your provisioning errors noted below, please post the file here. Someone may see something in it you did not see.
Quote:
...but i have problems with daemons:
dbu_daemon (absent)...
I assume you mean you mean dbus_daemon. The dbus_daemon script was was renamed to messagebus for OpenBSD 5.8, in 2015.
Quote:
... avahi_daemon (failed) ...
See my comments below regarding /etc/rc.conf.local and the out-of-date guidance you are using.
Quote:
and toadd (absent)
The sysutils/toad port/package were removed for OpenBSD 6.2, in September of this year. It required kern.usermount capabilities which were removed from the OS.
Quote:
...for the configuration I applied the following parameters...
You have made several key provisioning errors because you are using out-of-date information.
  • The "multicast_host" provision you used is invalid. It was removed from OpenBSD in 2015, for release 5.9. This is why the avahi_daemon fails to start, because multicast networking has not been provisioned due to this error.
  • The "pkg_scripts" provision you used is invalid. The rc.conf files stopped being shell scripts and became parsed values back in 2014, for release 5.6.
  • I recommend you delete your damaged /etc/rc.conf.local file, and have it recreated by carefully following the guidance in the pkg-readme file for OpenBSD 6.2 that you failed to read and follow. All you needed for correct provisioning were the 3 rcctl(8) commands listed in the final section of the pkg-readme file, in the "Cheat Sheet" section. You will find this guide in /usr/local/share/doc/pkg-readmes/.
In summary, stop reading third party "how to" documents that are years out-of-date, and follow the correct provisioning guidance included with the Gnome package. Jasper Lievisse Adriaanse spent a lot of time writing it and spends time keeping it up-to-date. I believe Jasper would prefer if OpenBSD Gnome users actually read his document.