View Single Post
  #9   (View Single Post)  
Old 3rd August 2010
New User

Quote:
Originally Posted by BSDfan666 View Post
That's sad, but at least this gives you the opportunity to outshine your predecessor, try and document the changes he made from the "vanilla" installation of 4.3.

I do believe that this system should be upgraded, but, doing so without first doing some initial research would be a mistake.. it may be running 3rd party software from the ports tree or things they manually compiled (..or wrote) and a premature upgrade could theoretically break things and leave you in a awkward situation of trying to restore functionality of what is essentially a "black box" to you.

I fear that you may have bitten off more than you can chew, I would not want to be in your situation.. but we'll do our best to help you with any questions you may have, but 4.3 is generations ago and it may time time for us to formulate something resembling a response.

Good luck!

It's not a super complex network so I think I should be okay in terms of handling the situation...I just need to be careful with how I approach things.

I probably could build a new firewall to the best of my ability in regards to how the network appears to be configured and then just find out that what is broken and what needs to be fixed. However, I haven't worked with OpenBSD before so I'd rather use this as a learning opportunity and establish a new skillset.

This seems like a pretty helpful forum, I'm glad I made my way here. Thanks again for the advice thus far.