Thread: I'm back :-)
View Single Post
Old 21st December 2009
Daemonology student

Quote:
Originally Posted by There0 View Post
I ALWAYS use a seperate /home partition, i mentioned that i DID NOT on my firewall because there is NO USERS logging in
And I didn't say I failed to read that the first time you mentioned it. But I thought you were actually giving an advice to Broodjegehaktmetmayo (who's installing FreeBSD as a *desktop* OS) instead of merely talking about your firewall.

Quote:
was hinting that he should NOT create a seperate /etc "slice"
Neither a slice nor a partition. Both would have the same effect and you'd be unable to boot.
What you said earlier -- "Remember that / also includes /home and /etc if you do not separate them" -- implies /etc *can* be separated from the root partition, something that AFAIK can never work without adverse effects, like not being able to boot normally, that is.

Quote:
Was a suggestion to get a booting system he can analyze/test
His system is already booting fine and his partitioning scheme is appropriate, but you're suggesting he does the entire setup all over again. And his problem is very clear: he has no more space on the root partition. All he has to do is check what's taking up so much space (old kernel and user files) and re/move it. I've already addressed both.
If he does what you're saying (having a huge root partition only) but does all the rest exactly as he was doing before, he will still end up with a 480MB (former) root partition but he won't notice anything's wrong and the system won't complain since it'd have 400+GB at its disposal. IOW, he'd be only hiding the symptoms instead of fixing the problem.

Quote:
i will gladly post a regular currently running installs systems configs, so we can quote back and forth instead of helping with Broodjegehaktmetmayo's issues
Suggestions have already been made. Now Broodjegehaktmetmayo has to try them and reply back, but he hasn't yet, has he?
Maybe "shut up and be gone" is what you're trying to tell me?

Quote:
Yes correction, i did mean /usr "slice"
A slice for /usr? What for? It's enough to just have it on a separate partition. It's recommended to have separate partitions for /, /tmp, /var, /usr and /home, but all this can still be on a single slice.

Quote:
Sounds like FreeBSD advice to me
Hmm, yes it's "FreeBSD advice" since he's installing FreeBSD, IIRC. Should I give Solaris or Windows advice? Maybe you think he's installing OpenBSD 4.6?

Quote:
don't believe i have ever seen hostname= in rc.conf before
Quote:
Originally Posted by man 5 rc.conf
hostname (str) The fully qualified domain name (FQDN) of this host on the network. This should almost certainly be set to something meaningful, even if there is no network connection. If dhclient(8) is used to set the hostname via DHCP, this variable should be set to an empty string.

Quote:
Better more standard place is the /etc/myname file, good to use, most recommend NOT to use the /etc/rc.conf
Uh, okay.
Quote:
The principal location for system configuration information is within /etc/rc.conf. This file contains a wide range of configuration information, principally used at system startup to configure the system.
[...]
An administrator should make entries in the rc.conf file to override the default settings from /etc/defaults/rc.conf.
[...]
All system-specific changes should be made in the rc.conf file itself.
[...]
The recommended approach is to place site-wide configuration into another file, such as /etc/rc.conf.site, and then include this file into /etc/rc.conf
Isn't the hostname a system-wide configuration? Besides, it's not like a desktop is usually used in "clustered applications" that requires "to separate site-wide configuration from system-specific configuration".
(Source: Handbook - 11.3 Core Configuration)

/etc/defaults/rc.conf:
Code:
##############################################################
###  Network configuration sub-section  ######################
##############################################################

### Basic network and firewall/security options: ###
hostname=""			# Set this!
Maybe you should file a PR to amend both the handbook and the default rc.conf file.