Thread: pkgsrc-2009Q3
View Single Post
  #1   (View Single Post)  
Old 12th October 2009
Arp Constable

Default pkgsrc-2009Q3

I struggled yesterday trying to install binary packages into my first working NetBSD install. I would try to install xfce4 as a meta-pkg and it would hang up after installing one or two packages. Edit: I was having the same problem as described elsewhere in this forum

Today I saw that pkgsrc-2009Q3 was out and I wonder if that somehow affected the availabilty of packages that I was trying to install (pkgsrc-2009Q2)? I reinstalled NetBSD 5.0.1 i386 today.

My goal is a light weight desktop that supports auto-generated application menus using freedesktop standards.

With that background my questions are:

1) Did the generation of pkgsrc-2009Q3 affect the availability of pkgsrc-2009Q2 binaries or was there possibly some other reason that net installs of binary packages did not work well?

2) Would the group recommend waiting for pkgsrc-2009Q3 binaries to become available (how long typically?) or start trying to grind them out from source. I'm not in a hurry to get the system built and am more concerned about getting a stable machine.

3) Any desktop suggestions? I like lxde (openbox + lxpanel) but I could not find lxpanel, fbpanel or pypanel in the packages lists? The lighter the better as long as I do not have to manually edit menu entries.

Last edited by shep; 12th October 2009 at 02:21 PM.