View Single Post
Old 10th January 2009
VPN Cryptographer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerryP View Post
I may be wrong, but I think I'm right.... so anyone feel free to correct me if it's the latter, rather then the former.

If you recall whatever you should have read about how the X Windows System works, you have an X Server that handles the display of X Clients on a given $DISPLAY. When my laptops keyboard went belly up, I tried virtually everything :\. One task was hooking up my laptop, and tunneling X over SSH to an X Server running on the Windows machine. Because the server was on the Windows machine, the Windows machine needs the graphics card - because all of the rendering is done on the boxen with the X Server running (or $DISPLAY, if you want to think of it that way, but that wouldn't be true). Likewise the programs are actually being executed from the remote host, where they are installed; in my case it was on the FreeBSD machine. I don't know the protocol very well (and am no Jamie Zawinski either!), but look at it this way:
  • X is about graphics for the most part.
  • Video requires rendering images on the users $DISPLAY by the X Server managing that $DISPLAY, and doing it at a suitable "frame rate".
  • Sound is an Operating System specific feature and has nothing to do with graphics.
  • If the machine doing the graphics rendering needs the graphics card, wouldn't it make sense if the machine doing the audio playback needed the sound card?

At least, that is as much as I can offer without more time to learn and cash for hardware. So the only way around it is a network mount of the files and running a program locally to play it, afaik.
I have poured over the internet trying to find solutions. The basic answer is that ssh doesn't forward sound. But, you can set up a client/server scenario and tunnel that through ssh for sound. But, there is no BSD UNIX solution to this that I found. It is all for Windows<->Linux and Linux<->Linux -- i.e., using Jack, ESD, etc.

I realize that X and sound are two different subsystems, but my objection is if you can forward one, why cannot you forward the other? (this is a question/complaint directed toward the ssh people and not you guys)
And the WORD was made flesh, and dwelt among us. (John 1:14)