View Single Post
Old 3rd January 2010
Administrator

I know how to debug OBSD firewalls and DMZ setups, but I never have used wireless stuff, until a month ago when Sinterklaas or Saint Nicolas brought me 2x a Netgear WNHDE111 HD 5 Ghz access point/bridge.

At this moment one, as access point, is connected to a switch in the living room. The switch connect to my wife's computer and the OpenBSD firewall.

In my work room I have the other Netgear configured as a bridge. It connects to a switch with my two desktops connected.

The bridge and the access point use proxy ARP. That is the only way because both wlan AP and bridge are in the same 192.168.222.0/24 network.
That is another reason why I was interested to see your MAC addresses.

I am going to add a third NIC to my OBSD firewall next week so the wireless LAN will have it's own subnet.

What witheld me from wifi thus far is, that in my previous house nearly every room had UTP cable. I also disliked the low transmission speeds of the first wifi standards , and the unreliability and unsafety.
I just could not believe people wanted to use that, sorry for the word, crap.

Now I have to leave my door open, else the signal strength drops from 82 to 60%..
But the speed is OK, I get the same 750KB ftp downloads like over the wired Lan.

Wifi, sorry my faith in you is weak, I am not a strong believer yet

In my case the AP and the bridge negotiate the channel, so far no complaints about that.