View Single Post
  #4   (View Single Post)  
Old 17th September 2010
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BSDfan666 View Post
I'm very sceptical about the legitimacy of this post, it's probably spam.
While the OP's question asked is perhaps outside the norm on this site, I can assure you that all new registrants are checked against actively managed databases of known spammers. While this is not a perfect means of identification, we use a mixture of other measures which stifles most attempts at posting spam here.

However, spammers are constantly looking for new holes to exploit. The current trend is to use new virginal email accounts which have yet to be reported, so they are not tagged as malevolent. Other measures used here thwart a lot of spam from being posted, & what little still gets through is normally eradicated with a few hours. I am being purposefully vague in describing what is & is not done so not to easily educate the vermin, but I will state that we aggressively deal with the issue. It is a complex topic, & we watch the incoming traffic closely.

Lastly, stating publicly concerns about the legitimacy of posts is counter-productive. Some newbie questions will simply appear odd by the very nature of being new, & we should accept it. We should remain positive & supportive such that they remain forthcoming & return if they have legitimate goals & intent. After all, the purpose of sites like this to share useful information to grow our individual skill sets. All of us need to remain vigilant against becoming cynical from the battle-hardening real-world support provides.

So, if any member has questions about individuals having nefarious motives, send private messages to the Administrators. Most likely, we are watching it too, but keeping this site free of spam will only work if we collectively watch the traffic.