View Single Post
Old 12th March 2012
Tcpdump Spy

Heh, I've seen at least 2 other Skyrim-spoof comics with pretty much the same joke.

Anyhow, it *seriously* bothered me while playing Skyrim. Even with all the mods for a more immersive experience it still felt like a "toy game" instead of a real adventure RPG ... I had hoped Skyrim would be an improvement over all those annoyances that I (and many like me) had in Oblivion. It was not .

I finished the main quest, but skipped much of the sidequests and exploring, after a while it just got tedious and I had a lot of deja-vu moments from Oblivion. I also found the general storyline(s) and characters lacking in depth and complexity, it's all pretty shallow and simplistic.
I felt a bit like watching Stargate, it's Science fiction in the sense that it has aliens and pew-pew lasers and space battles, but in the end it's really missing the point of science fiction. (I hope there are enough SF people here that get this).

Anyone remember Thief by the way? A low budget game from 1998 did a lot better (on this topic) than a high-budget game from 2012. This is pathetic & ridiculous (it's really not that difficult).

Bethesda did better on Fallout 3 by the way, and Fallout New Vegas was lots better (Not made by Bethesda btw).

My favorite cRPG? Arcanum, Baldur's Gate 2, Fallout 2, Planescape: Torment (In alphabetical order, they're all pretty damn good). If you look at best rated/most played games lists, many of these consistently rank among the top few, so one has to wonder why there aren't more of these games being made ... (I have a few idea's, but not really sure on them)