View Single Post
Old 7th November 2011
Fdisk Soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oko View Post
This is an interesting problem. TightVNC was removed due to security reasons but I am not aware how difficult is to run x11vnc in your particular set up. Besides TightVNC and TigerVNC and already mentioned x11VNC I am aware of UltraVNC and proprietary RealVNC. Can you try to compile UltraVNC maybe?
realvnc works but without the Xvnc server. UltraVNC is Windows only. In fact I'm on powerpc here and not i386.

I've never had security issues so far. The vncserver listens on localhost only and I connect via a ssh tunnel. VNC is available on any system (Windows, Mac, even the iPhone have native clients). So I can connect from everywhere ssh-tunneled to it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oko View Post
I personally dropped VNC in favor of NX X protocol with is compression wrapper around ssh. It works amazingly fast comparing to VNC let alone to ssh -Y The problem is that proprietary version of NX server is not running on OpenBSD but that is not problem for me since I only use to connect to my cluster which runs RedHat Linux. There is a free version of the NX server FreeNX which you should be able to compile on OpenBSD. Google also has an unfinished version.
The compression of vnc is very limited. It is not blazingly fast over an internet connection. I know that *NX has a far better protocol but the client isn't available on any architecture. Name me an iPhone client for *NX... AFAIK you need a running xsession/xserver for *NX too... On OpenBSD there's opennx but I don't know if it works as expected. If you know an iPhone client I'd gladly switch to opennx if it works.