View Single Post
Old 23rd March 2012
Port Guard

running current on Dell Latitude D420 upgraded with a 2Gb dimm, a second internal wireless adapter (intel), a docking station, bluetooth (and a new keyboard b/c of beer spill, puffy loves beer hehe). Everything works except IR and FireWire. I'm running i386 current for two years as far as i recall, today with rthreads, the fixed Intel graphics xenocara driver and the ram upgrade this notebook is a beast, small, lightweight and great looking. APM works like a charm, i'm noticing that both the 6 and 9 cell batteries die faster than other os'es but then hey no scientific testing has been done as i don't care. just to rant a bit, i've never seen the urge to use gnome, kde or anything bloated and i've been using scrotwm which now is spectrwm and it's rock solid. Browser side, it's a pity no lightweight browser is available, all require gtk or some sort of bloated library, so i've been using chrome which is bloated anyway (100mb of memory per tab :/)... i'm doing alot of dev on the puffy beast, currently it's running bleeding edge mongodb, redis, node, python, sqlite, io, lua and nginx and a look at systat (oh i love systat) makes me really proud of OpenBSD. Only problem is flash, but i make it a point not to run flash, also webm on chrome plays with no sound. No time to waste on videos anyway. Bottom line and to stay on topic, if you can find a d420 in a good shape don't hesitate, they are well made (except a moronic problem with the three wire charger security carrier over the Dallas 2501 chip so handle plugging and unplugging with care). Well that's it, it was fun to write this up as it's been a while I wanted to write some kudos for OpenBSD

Peace

Last edited by silex; 15th December 2012 at 10:03 AM.