View Single Post
  #5   (View Single Post)  
Old 4th December 2011
More noise than signal

OK, now that I've moved from a phone to a workstation, let me elaborate:
  1. bzip2's last upgrade was at 4.7-release: it was upgraded to 1.0.6.
  2. There was a revision of the port for 4.9-release, but it did not alter the binary executables in the package. USE_GROFF=YES was added to the port's Makefile.
  3. It appears that pkg_add is attempting to install bzip2, which is a run-time dependency for python. Your console output may not be complete; pkg_add produces output which will overlay existing text.
  4. It appears that bzip2 is already installed, although with different checksums.
There are several possible reasons for the collision and checksum errors.

The most likely cause is an incorrect $PKG_PATH -- either pointing to the wrong architecture (e.g.: i386 instead of amd64, or vice versa) or trying to use snapshot packages while running a -release.

Another cause could be a damaged or out-of-sync installed-package database -- pkg_add and pkg_delete manage this data base in file structures located in /var/db/pkg. Issuing $ pkginfo | grep bzip2 will show you if the database recognizes bzip2 as already installed or not. And then you can test any of the individually listed files with pkg_info -E to check the file against the database to determine which package installed it, such as $ pkg_info -E /usr/local/bin/bzip2

If your $PKG_PATH is confirmed to be correct, and bzip2 appears to be installed properly, there may have been a package signature change between -release packages for bzip; a simple # pkg_add -r bzip2 might solve the problem.

Last edited by jggimi; 4th December 2011 at 02:51 PM.