View Single Post
Old 14th May 2008
Local

Quote:
Originally Posted by windependence
It's refreshing to come here and still see people that know what they are doing and that want to do things the correct way.
The biggest difference I see between Linux-centric forums (which I've been active on since '04) and BSD-centric forums (which I've been active on since '05) is the "high-skill saturation level".

Let me throw out some very rough (read: speculative) estimates to demonstrate the idea, without mentioning any specific forum names:

Average Linux forum
  • 20% expert-level users
  • 40% intermediate-level
  • 40% novices

Average BSD forum
  • 50% expert-level users
  • 30% intermediate-level
  • 20% novices

Why is this so? * Could it be that many BSD users start with Linux to learn a lot of concepts and then expand their horizons to the world of BSD? Could it be that the learning curve required to get a BSD installation up and working as a desktop system is more steep (thus weeding out lower-skilled, potential users)? Could it be that as a community aggressively markets and grows it will inevitably attract novices faster than it can breed experts?

* Note: I'm not stating that this definitively is so, but rather asking some questions based on my own perception of the situation.