View Single Post
  #1   (View Single Post)  
Old 19th November 2012
Don't Worry Be Happy!

Location: hot,dry,dusty,rainy,windy,straight winds, tornado,puts the fear of God in you-Texas
Default system monitoring advice

Hi folks,
After running linux for about three years and now OpenBSD for about two i am about ready to set up my small business webserver office lan.

I will be running a small OpenBSD box with several nics, providing (routing/firewall) connection from the internet via a "Static" ip address to my small business web server and an internal lan.

This is a home/office system not an Enterprise one.

I have read here, and many man pages as applicable, plus the book of PF, SSH mastery and Absolute OpenBSD. I am a "NOVICE". The webserver will be a simple one consisting of just a few static pages running on a commercial OpenBSD server. The "Apache" webserver will be running from a default install chrooted in /www. There will be no e-commerce, email, or database functions.

Since the web server info, and related .conf's may be backup'd and replaced easily i am not worried about proprietary data loss, e-commerce corruption and or financial/personal data loss.
I think at this time i can set-up a basic firewall/router that meets my business needs
and simply works. Later as my knowledge grows i can refine it.

I am "however" concerned with detecting and neutralizing mal-ware pests from the outside infecting my system which sends pesky traffic to you.......and our internet neighbors.
I am fairly familiar and use pfstat, and systat etc.

QUESTION:
What do you folks use/employ to try to stay on top of potential malware traffic
that may originate from your systems.?????
Remember this is not an Enterprise system here!!!!!

Please suggest subjects/program reading and i can take it from here.

thanks in advance
FRCC

Last edited by frcc; 20th November 2012 at 01:45 PM.