View Single Post
Old 13th July 2012
More noise than signal

Quote:
Originally Posted by barti View Post
I did install openbsd and choosed yes for xdm.

Can I change that after installation?
Yes you can. When you told the installation script to use XDM, it placed:
Code:
xdm_flags=                  # enabled during install
into the file /etc/rc.conf.local for you. This overrides the setting of "xdm_flags=NO" in the file /etc/rc.conf which is the default. If you edit /etc/rc.conf.local and comment out this line, XDM will not start on boot.
Quote:
...It is what linux was 10 years ago....
No, you misunderstand the goals of the OpenBSD Project. The goals for the OpenBSD Project meet the needs of its developers. We users just go along for the ride, and we get -- for me, anyway -- an architecturally elegant, simply structured, easy to support and maintain platform for a wide variety of applications. Please read http://www.openbsd.org/goals.html -- you will see users mentioned only twice: they have access to the source code (OpenBSD is Open), and they support the Project.
Quote:
Maybe I will reinstall openbsd again.
You don't need to. You just need to edit /etc/rc.conf.local.
Quote:
Originally Posted by barti View Post
But how many years do you work with openbsd?
Me? I first installed OpenBSD in 2004. But, I had already had significant experience with Unix and Unix-like systems prior to then, dating back to the early 1980s. And before Unix, I'd had Multix end-user experience in the 1970s.
Quote:
I think that in modern times people have many things to do and that modern operating system must have the basic stuff ready to go.
The developers are not interested in providing an OS-for-everyone. The culture of the Project is not interested in those users, as it cannot support them. It is a very small group of developers, and if you follow the misc@ mailing list, you will see they are unable and unwilling to support users who cannot provide clear and detailed problem reports.

To me, the OS keeps up to date technically, and is very modern. There is no graphical installer, no windows with buttons where users can click "Next...Next...Next...Next" without reading anything. I don't want or need those things.

There is no pre-configured graphical desktop, unless you want to use the built-in window managers such as fvwm or cwm. There's no pre-configured Gnome workstation. There's no pre-configured KDE or XFCE workstation environments either. Why? The developers are capable of quickly installing and configuring their window manager of choice - and there are more than 40 different window managers to choose from for this OS.

Users of this OS are expected to be self sufficient, or hire commercial support. Here on this forum, we users try to help new users become self sufficient, and help each other. We're not always successful, but we try.
Quote:
Maybe openbsd developers build it for expert in bsd and that is ok.
Expertise is not required. But technical skills sufficient to install and maintain the OS are.
Quote:
Maybe better that way!
Certainly, for the Project, it has to be that way, they do not have the resources to support non-technical users.