View Single Post
  #5   (View Single Post)  
Old 16th August 2009
Package Pilot

Apparently there is a spam problem on this board and it will not let me post urls:

"You are only allowed to post URLs once you have at least 5 posts."

So you will have to cut/paste them....

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocicat View Post
The following may give you an answer explaining why you are having to disable APM:

url: marc.info/?l=openbsd-tech&m=124545473209570&w=2
Thank you for the link. The machine was built to use Windows 98 which apparently was the first operating system to use ACPI.

url: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Advanced_Configuration_and_Power_Interface

ACPI was designed to replace APM.

url: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Advanced_Power_Management

Quote:
Originally Posted by BSDfan666 View Post
t's not really a big deal to disable either or if a problem occurs.. but the developers are trying to make things easier..
It was not "intuitively obvious" either. I could find no error messages about APM and discovered the fix by scanning the web with Google and by trial and error.

I started with changing bios settings. That didn't work.

Then I pulled out all of my hardware until I got down to a mother board and a floppy disk drive. That didn't work.

(I tried booting OpenBSD from a floppy because I thought it might be the CDROM drive. And I tried using two different CDROM drives...that didn't work.)

Then I tried older versions of OpenBSD, 4.4 and 4.5. That didn't work.

Finally I discovered the "boot -c" command and tried "disable acpi". That didn't work.

And then I tried "disable apm" and finally success.

Quote:
Also, am I the only person that doesn't consider his system old? looks rather decent if you ask me.. AMD Athlon systems were much better then the Intel equivalents of the time.
Well the system is 10 years old and I agree it is not too bad.

But a typical Athlon desktop system today is a dual core Athlon 2.5 Ghz with 3 Gbytes ram and a 320 Gbyte disk drive.

Quote:
Given the surplus of networking equipment, are you planning on turning this system into a router/firewall?
It doesn't make economic sense, but yes I am turning it into a wireless router just for fun and knowledge.

Last edited by comet--berkeley; 16th August 2009 at 02:31 PM. Reason: Remembered trying 2 cdrom drives...