Thread: C and FreeBSD
View Single Post
Old 8th October 2008
FreeBSD 2.2.6 User

Quote:
Originally Posted by FHW View Post
mdh, references were going to be my next question, I'll check to see if there are any copies of "Secure Programming Cookbook for C and C++" available locally, if not is it worth ordering in?
Yes. Amazon has a free shipping deal for over $25, ora.com (the publisher, O'Reilly's website) is another good choice to order their books directly online, and there are countless other online retailers.

It's probably the best C-related book I've ever seen, though it isn't really a "beginner" book, you'll learn a lot from it at any experience level just from considering the concepts that are discussed. Once you are somewhat proficient in C, you'll actually understand the implementations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FHW View Post
I haven't used usenet before, is that the same as mirc which I have only used briefly, or more like an email network group, and are they as good as forums such as these?
Depends. You need access to it somehow, and the content can vary between NNTP servers based on what feeds they link to. http://groups.google.com/ interfaces to usenet, and a lot of people use it. It's the only thing I can honestly suggest nowadays; ISPs used to provide NNTP servers which we could utilize via an NNTP client such as tin or seamonkey/thunderbird/netscape, but that practice is pretty much dead. There can be some good content on usenet, though, it isn't what it was in the early-mid 90's.

Also, mirc is a commercial windows program that connects to IRC, so its use in such a context isn't correct. That said, IRC can still be a good source of information if you find the right channels, which can be challenging.