View Single Post
Old 23rd July 2009
More noise than signal

Quote:
Originally Posted by plexter View Post
...I use pppoe but it does not reconnect should it get disconnected unless the system is rebooted....
Quote:
Originally Posted by plexter View Post
...I do not receive any error messages. My problem is if the line should disconnect without user interaction. I would like to to automatically try and reconnect....
  1. I'm confused by your problem description. Exactly what happens when your connection fails? It's not clear what your symptoms are, or, what you've tried. Please post specific symptoms and any diagnostic information you've gathered. Here are some completely-made-up possibilities, showing the level of problem detail I'm requesting:

"pppoe exits. Attempts to start it again cause an immediate exit. No pppoe or ppp processes appear in ps(1) lists. Destroying tun0 and restarting cause the tun to reappear, but then pppoe/ppp exit immediately again."

"ppp goes into a loop -- kill -9 fails to stop it. top(1) shows it consuming all available cpu."

2. Did you set up a ppp log per the ppp(8) man page? If so, what are the contents of that log?
  3. Have you looked through /var/log/daemon and /var/log/messages for messages that may not have appeared on the console? If so, what are the applicable contents?
Quote:
...Also is it possible to set what the default gateway will be for pppoe?
According to pppoe(8), route configuration information is in ppp(8). And it's true, there is plenty of discussion of routing settings within that man page. In particular, look at the "add default HISADDR" discussion.