View Single Post
  #1   (View Single Post)  
Old 28th October 2010
Noobification

Talking OpenBSD livecd/liveusb/combo persistent?

Hi all,

I've done in the past mounting the fedora livecd then label my usb as a persistent storage while inside the live system (so the livecd stores things like /home and additional /usr/bin on the usb and not somewhere else(there is nowhere else, actually), so that every time I boot the livecd(w/ the usb plugged in), I get all my saved configuration files/ additional binaries not included w/ the default boot)

nowadays I use something wa-aaay easier. The fedora LiveUSB creator gives me the entire live system install + persistent storage... in one click!

so,

how can I (without blindly following tutorials and using BSD-based tools that I have no idea how it works/where to start) - put the OpenBSD install on a usb, encrypt the filesystem and make it bootable?(so systems like M$ windoze can't automatically mount it and @#$! the partition & make unbootable (yes, every time I plug a bootable usb into a running windows machine, it somehow automagically kills it) (especially windows 7, I just hate how it automatically assumes the usb is not bootable and searches the entire drive for things like *.mp3)...

note - I am using a new lexar 8GB, my old kingston 8GB had some serious cylinder errors and no matter how I fdisk/parted it, things won't work

thanks all