View Single Post
Old 11th January 2009
VPN Cryptographer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BSDfan666 View Post
@JMJ, X was based originally for networked graphics.. multiple X terminals (dedicated hardware) would connect to a fast Unix server.

Sound was never in the equation.. and historically, there have been several sound API's for Unix systems, Sun Audio and OSS being the most popular of coarse. (Neither are network aware..)

Due to the nature of sound.. it's been more of a "localized" thing, traditionally not networked.. but it has been done.

You already mentioned the programs by name.. ESD(Esound) and Jack both support this.
I can understand the historical why not, I'm just lamenting the why not (I'll get over it ). Again the complain isn't directed to anyone here (unless you are part of the OpenSSH development team! )

Quote:
Originally Posted by BSDfan666 View Post
A little off topic.. but is that religious quotation really necessary in your signature? in red? it's most surely going to offend someone.
It certainly isn't meant to offend. The quote is from the troparion for Christmas day according to the Byantine rite and I switched from the kontakion because it has more to do with the Magi, which was celebrated on January 6. It is in red because it is Christmas (red is a Christmas color). In Advent, the signature was in purple. I just can't help but to proclaim the glorious message.

It is a little off-topic, but if you want to start a new thread I'd be happy to continue discussion.
And the WORD was made flesh, and dwelt among us. (John 1:14)