View Single Post
Old 8th July 2010
Package Pilot

BSDfan666, thanks for the link. I learn a lot there and it all came down to what ocicat said "It could be that your ISP is only providing one DNS server.". What the ... so the standards have changed on this noob clock and they did not tell FreeBSD.

Anyway, after failing to configure PPPoE (don't know why I ended up there) I finally went back to OpenBSD and FreeBSD pf documentation with BSDfan666 find in mind and after testing everything possible with a smaller rule set I came to find I was using all the wrong numbers. I thought it was my syntax.

Internet Connection Details
Code:
Connection Type: PPPoE
Username: me@sbcglobal.net
Internet Address: xx.xxx.xxx.xxx             : not for me but the freaking ISP IP address
Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.255
Default Gateway: xx.xxx.xxx.xxx              : I thought this was the freaking modem/router
Primary Domain Name Server: 68.94.156.1           : the real DNS address
Secondary Domain Name Server: 68.94.157.1         : and its missing DNS
dhclient.leases.re0
Code:
 lease { interface "re0"; fixed-address 192.168.1.xx; : My freaking real IP address
resolv.conf:
Code:
search gateway.2wire.net
nameserver 192.168.1.254 : Now I got three IP addresses + a three DNS combo
To FreeBSD this is suppose to be your real DNS (not a modem/router combo) but I was also missing the Secondary DNS numbers which was so miss leading. It seem that AT&T made my modem/router the so-called IP address and my DNS also according to the info BSDfan666 posted. So 192.168.1.254 is the modem/router itself, now called my IP address by AT&T. In reality it is only a POINTER to the information found under your Internet Connection Details. They call it your IP address when they should call it a POINTER to your Internet Connection Details which contain your IP address and DNS servers. As of this year I believe all new textbooks are out of date before school begin... heehee

Anyway, in the end even all of what I just said is still no excuse because it was "ONLY" here where I was using all the wrong address's all along, while blindly changing things elsewhere back-to-back. Thinking I had 3 IP's and 1 DNS did kind of make things confusing and took me from dumber to DUMBER by the day
Code:
pass in on $_LAN inet proto tcp from any to 10.0.0.1 port 8880 keep state
pass out on $_WAN inet proto tcp from any to any port www keep state
pass out on $_LAN inet proto tcp from any to 192.168.1.35 port 3389
But now it's working and I can learn how to use it

Thanks for everything guys... I learn so much about DHCP, DNS, PPPoE and much more that I bet could land me a job with the TIA or ISO without a degree. I going to love pf .. I never understood BSD so well until now. It won't take me a life time now just to get it.

Where is the SOLVE button? Or please mark this as SOLVE

Thanks again