Thread: error messages
View Single Post
  #9   (View Single Post)  
Old 28th May 2008
Arp Constable

If you have a problem with cleaning out distfiles back stuff up.

I'm not a rocket scientist when it comes to ports, heck spent most of my time backtracking through makefiles to learn things I really wanted to know...

/usr/ports/distfiles seems to hold copies of downloaded source code from ports you have built/tried to build. /usr/ports/cat/port/distinfo gives checksums on those files.

You can get old copies of a ports Makefiles and distinfo's from CVS (what ever versions) by looking them up on www.freebsd.org/ports, you can also redownload any thing that is still downloadable off the 'net.

A simple way to backup the distfiles:
Code:
tar -C /usr/ports -cf - distfiles | bzip2  > /tmp/distfiles.tar.gz

I selected bzip2 for the example because of the compression rate and out of box shipping with FreeBSD, use whatever you like.

Note: You could use tar's -j switch to tar and skip the | bzip2, I usually use the pipe because OpenBSDs tar lacks it and I some times like to choose other compressors then -z/|gzip and -j/|bzip2. Hence why I wrote it that way

Thou shalt check the array bounds of all strings (indeed, all arrays), for surely where thou typest ``foo'' someone someday shall type ``supercalifragilisticexpialidocious''.