View Single Post
Old 29th December 2014
OpenBSD language porter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oko View Post
For example I don't see nvi even though developers practically forked nvi version 1.79 which is shipped with BSDs and created OpenBSD fork clean of bugs and lots of obsolete code. It will be available for 5.7 release.
nvi has been part of OpenBSD since the very first commit of OpenBSD (literally: see http://cvsweb.openbsd.org/cgi-bin/cv....bin/vi/README and scroll all the way to the bottom). Nvi 1.79 was imported on July 27, 1997 (17 years, 5 months ago according to the CVS logs).

Yes, there has been some work done on vi(1) recently. Namely, ansification (a diff that I personally reviewed), removal of the Perl API that was broken for years, and removal of portability goo we don't need. But it's still a mess. Personally I would love to build a new, modern vi from scratch but ENOTIME. I wouldn't call this in any way an OpenBSD project. All the BSDs have made extensive changes to their import of nvi. I like what FreeBSD has done with theirs. But it's still kludge on a program from the early 90s (and older).