View Single Post
  #1   (View Single Post)  
Old 31st October 2012
Fdisk Soldier

Default PPPoE really slow speeds when connecting through DSL Modem?

Hi,

I'm running a Sun Microsystems Netra T105 SPARC box as a router/firewall/gateway/NAT.

It's a 400MHz machine with 360MB RAM. Initially I tested it's routing capability with 100Mbps Ethernet and it was quite close to wire-speed however, I'm currenty using for my WAN needs for my ADSL Annex M line and unfortunately not getting anywhere near the speeds the line is capable of serving.

My WAN speed should be 20Mbps downstream and 2Mbps upstream. My current rates are below 5Mbps downstream and 700kbps upstream.

The modem I'm using is a Cisco 887VA which is both Annex M ADSL and VDSL compatible.

I took my config for the OpenBSD server from here:

http://adju.st/paper/openbsd-adsl-wlan-howto.html

The reason I want to use the OpenBSD box as router/gateway/NAT/Firewall is that Cisco's keep crashing on me when loads get higher. Their NAT's don't really handle the stress of 1000+ connections (takes up more memory then the boxes have).

The config that I'm running is here:

ppp.conf

Code:
default:
 set log Phase Chat IPCP CCP tun command
 set redial 15 0
 set reconnect 15 10000

pppoe:
 set device "!/usr/sbin/pppoe -i hme0"
 disable acfcomp protocomp
 deny acfcomp
 set mtu max 1454
 set speed sync
 enable lqr
 set lqrperiod 5
 set cd 5
 set dial
 set login
 set timeout 0
 set authname <authname>
 set authkey <key>
 add! default HISADDR
# enable dns
 enable mssfixup
options:

Code:
options
lock
auth
usehostname
rc.local

Code:
# Start PPPoE ahead of ntpd
echo -n ' PPPoE'
ppp -ddial pppoe
sleep 20
ppp-linkdown

Code:
MYADDR:
 !bg /sbin/pfctl -d
ppp-linkup

Code:
MYADDR:
 !bg sh -c "/sbin/pfctl -e -f /etc/pf.conf"
Can anyone help me out at all either with a config change or suggest something else?

I was thinking of using the router for PPPoA with another public IP then routing that to my OpenBSD machine. Outside of that am totally stuck; I see people using PPPoE with VDSL2 even meaning that the higher speeds should be obtainable just how?

Thanks.