View Single Post
  #8   (View Single Post)  
Old 1st November 2012
Fdisk Soldier

Did a quick test; I used PPPoA on the router and coupled it to the Netra. PPPoE wasn't the issue! (or could be related)

Turns out the amount of filtering done by Packet Filter was grinding the system down to a halt. I ended up taking out the NAT/PAT and PPPoE config but creating some PF rules to allow for OSPF, telnet (to the router) amongst other things. The speed was still only reaching round 4.5Mbps on the downstream with only routing, OSPF, PF (firewalling) active

Well.... I swaped out the OpenBSD to using the plain old modem as router.

Performance has increased by an enormous amount with speeds reaching in excess of 13Mbps downstream though now I don't have any firewall in place and NAT is NOT a solution for security!! however, I will try a Sun Fire V210 server soon and see if that makes a difference unless I manage to find some performance tweaks. Activating all the security features on the router will definitely kill it - I know for a fact as I have experience, unless you pay in excess of $10k for a modular carrier grade router expect performance to be quite poor even with business grade ones (like mine!).