View Single Post
  #1   (View Single Post)  
Old 29th August 2008
Complete BSD nubcake

Default Need help with NTP + VMWare

I have an install of FreeBSD 7.0 for my webserver running on a VMWare platform. (VMWare Server, will be VMWare ESXi in the near future.)

The problem is that the time is very slow.... 3 to 4 seconds in the real world is 1 second on the FreeBSD box... VMWare tools doesn't support time sync with the host on FreeBSD. I've tried setting kern.hz=100 but I didn't notice much of a change.

I set the time earlier today, at roughly 10:00am EST... it is now 1:19 pm EST but the server reads 11:20am EST.

This isn't good for a webserver.

I'm also new to FreeBSD and 'nix in general.

I'm thinking some sort of ntpd implementation may be the best route. Time doesn't need to be 100% accurate at all times since the websites that this server hosts aren't the most mission critical things but I'd like the time to be within 5 minutes of the actual time.

If I kick off ntpd -g via cron when the system boots, that should handle the issue, but how do I make ntpd check the time every X minutes. I'm not worried about network traffic as the box sits on the same copper gigabit switch as my NTP server. I'm thinking if I set it to check every minute it should help me out quite a bit in keeping proper time.

Can anyone give me a hand or some insight that might help fix the issue?