View Single Post
Old 14th November 2013
New User

Quote:
Michael is giving sage advice. The intent of the project's mailing lists is to serve as forums for the developers to discuss issues with each other as well as the community as long as discussion is at the development level, or after significant research has been done. The project's mailing lists does not entitle the public to ask anything they choose -- especially if no research or forethought has been put into the question(s). The purpose of the mailing lists is to benefit the developers, not the community.
- Understood, and I certainly wasn't contesting that if that is what it seems like. This is why I joined Daemon Forums. :-)

I also definitely understand the irritation that stems from users asking questions before reading the documentation... I used to work for a well known audio plugin developer and saw tech support questions all of the time that were easily answered by reading the site faq or manual.

As far as Gnome goes, it isn't really a matter that I am going to pursue.... I have an iMac and a Mac Pro for all of the desktop stuff anyway... I just like to put a desktop on OpenBSD to mill around on it while I learn the system better. XFCE fits the bill quite nicely. I am much more interested in OpenBSD as a webserver ... i have a few websites that I attend to and my goal is to move them to an OpenBSD vps.

Of course this was a decision made after several months of testing out different distros of Linux etc.... it came down to RH/CentOS or OpenBSD. After using OpenBSD for a month, it was hard to return to CentOS - it wasn't as nicely laid out as OpenBSD... plus what really put the nail in that coffin was the documentation... top notch.

I am certainly no stranger to the OpenBSD documentation... the faq, the man pages in the OS AND on the OpenBSD site etc...

Thank you all.