View Single Post
  #3   (View Single Post)  
Old 12th March 2014
New User

Default 1 entry in spool area, unable to resolve remote machine, tcpdump next

jggimi,

Thank you for your help! I'm a step closer (print jobs are sitting in the print queue), my next step is inspecting traffic with tcpdump.

Running "lpq -l" gives:

Warning: unable to resolve remote machine 515@192.168.xxx.xxx: no address associated with name no entries
... and list of print jobs.

I removed all print jobs in the queue using "lprm job#", running "lpq -l" no longer shows print jobs, but still shows unable to resolve remote machine error. "nc -z IP addr port#" still shows connection succeeded. Again, I'm going to inspect traffic next.

Other notes:

I changed my ":lp=515@192.168.xxx.xxx:\" line to ":lp=:rm=515@192.168.xxx.xxx:\", understanding that setting lp to null means ":lp=:" and setting rm to network address of printer means "rm=515@192.168.xxx.xxx".

I removed the "canon" directory from /var/spool/output, set ":sd=/var/spool/output:\"

I removed the "canon" line in /etc/hosts.lpd. The lpd manual says that file is for listing machine names allowed printer access; appears to be for allowing remote hosts in the list, not a printer, as I incorrectly interpreted.

I'll report back with resolution and/or traffic analysis.

Thanks again!

--spacebar_permissions