View Single Post
Old 9th November 2008
Arp Constable

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMJ_coder View Post
I wouldn't be surprised in the least if every program in kernel and userland on a base *BSD system was written in C. But, what about ports/pkgsrc? Many of those programs are written in C++ or a combo of C/C++. I'm not saying it should be an immediate goal, but eventually it should be able to compile C++ code to be able to boot gcc (and its companion g++) from the base system.
Some programs in ports only 'officially' support the GNU Compiler Collection 3.x or 4.x; some software also may need to use compiler specifics every now and then that are not standardized.

Port X needs C++ compiler, install g++ as dependency.

Code:
Tools/packages necessary for building GCC

ISO C90 compiler
    Necessary to bootstrap GCC, although versions of GCC prior to 3.4 also allow bootstrapping with a traditional (K&R) C compiler.

To build all languages in a cross-compiler or other configuration where 3-stage bootstrap is not performed, you need to start with an existing GCC binary (version 2.95 or later) because source code for language frontends other than C might use GCC extensions. 

Sounds simple enough, not fun, but simple enough lol.

realistically I would expect to see gcc, g++, and pcc all in the base systems compiler dist set for awhile; the question is which one will be /usr/bin/cc and friends? At the point where the OS can be compiled with pcc and pcc can handle getting GCC up for ports/pkgsrc - do they really need gcc in the base after that?

Thou shalt check the array bounds of all strings (indeed, all arrays), for surely where thou typest ``foo'' someone someday shall type ``supercalifragilisticexpialidocious''.