View Single Post
  #1   (View Single Post)  
Old 7th May 2015
Rc.conf Instructor

Default CMS recommendation

Could a kind soul enlighten me with a recommendation for a decent CMS which can be used to create new Web portal for our research group?

A little background. For the past 10 years our group has being using DaisyCMS which is heavily customized. About 4-5 years ago an upgrade was attempted but between Apache Cocoon, XML files in CVS, and MySQL tables upgrade went nowhere. People who have done original set up have move on long time ago and the only interesting part about their installation is clever use of Xen DomU and hot migration abilities of Xen hypervisor to bring web site back on the minute notice in the case of the crash.

Anyhow people who are lurking on FreeBSD forums have noticed several of my posts made out of frustration.

First why FreeBSD when I am OpenBSD user? Unfortunately we are not so rich to have separate physical server for every tiny web application. So since I have to use virtualization I opted for Jails. Second reason is that I want to use ZFS in particularly cloning and replication abilities to have essentially redundant installation of the web portal.

Another requirement is that it uses normal web server Nginx comes to mind and a PostgreSQL database. My personal preference would be flat files (people know that I run few PmWiki websites) but I was overruled which I didn't mind as long as I can use PostgreSQL.

After a small frustrating stint with Django-CMS (BTW we use Django for many in-house project so that was our first choice). I gave up on it due to the lack of proper FreeBSD specific documentation

https://forums.freebsd.org/threads/d...5/#post-288602

Than somebody said Plone. I waisted this morning 4 hours playing with Plone just to have the same experience with the FreeBSD documentation or lack of it.

https://forums.freebsd.org/threads/p...0/#post-288911

Yes I learned that Plone is using ZEDB and that ZEND 213 is all but dead and that Plone is dying anyway so long story short good that I failed.

That pretty much is only option based on Python which is our favourite programming language.

I am right now playing with Drupal7 and after all the hurdles (compiling from the ports to be able to get PostgreSQL support) and setting the data base I see that Drupal7 is optimized for Apache.

I want back and fourth over

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...gement_systems

and I don't see a damn thing.

BTW the person who is actually "doing the website for us" knows little bit HTML and CSS and is an artist with the most recent project done in WordPress. So I will have to do all the dirty work. We are also taking this very serious and external hosting is not an option because we are making bits of proprietary code, papers, and datasets downloadable to people with the right credentials (teaser). We are not putting that stuff on anybody's server.