View Single Post
  #7   (View Single Post)  
Old 29th May 2014
Tcpdump Spy

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpatrick View Post
Snowden is a loser and a traitor whose 15-minutes of fame need to end. One only needs to listen to his unending spiel to realize he is trying to stay in the headlines with more lies. In a new interview he claims he was actually a real "spy" and not a low level analyst, claiming he worked "undercover and overseas" for the CIA and NSA, and was a lecturer for the DIA.
Argumentum ad hominem

Quote:
The phrase ad hominem argument (often called an ad hominem attack) comes from the Latin "at the person." It also sometimes applies to any argument that centres on emotive (specifically irrelevant emotions) rather than rational or logical appeal.
Quote:
As I've said before, more people will be harmed by criminals and their malware, phishing and spyware than by NSA telephone call metadata.
Not as bad as...

Quote:
The "not as bad as" argument, or the fallacy of relative privation, is a form of the moral equivalence fallacy that takes note of the existence of things that are worse than what is actually under discussion
Quote:
Granted that some intel officials, notably a CIA station chief, would be given a cover for obvious reasons, but Snowden claims that he was "trained as a spy," which bears much, much, more weight than working for the CIA or NSA as a technical analyst.

Although I'm sure he was posted overseas, I'm not convinced that a technical analyst working for the NSA would be given cover abroad unless it was an hostile area such as Afghanistan.
Ad hominum, as above, but also a red herring since Snowden's status or training has absolutely no importance whatsoever regarding anything, really.