View Single Post
Old 12th November 2008
Spam Deminer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerryP View Post
I count by drivers available / chipsets supported, not by quality (beyond ones I've used) and I do not count developments not to reach a RELEASE near me. Drivers ported or documented as "first appearing in" Net or Open BSDs, I also count as lesser support from FreeBSD - due to porting time needed, not to mention time for it to reach a RELEASE or associated STABLE branch.

OpenBSD will never support tools like nidsgen, period.

0/ WINE is not FreeBSD, if it was I would use Vista instead.

1/ In my experience the MPlayer plugin is buggy and just how much depends on the browser used. I've often had to send SIGKILL to flock-bin processes after closing linux-flock or just closing a tab, due to having the MPlayer plugin in use when the window/tab was closed. Viewing multiple video streams at once has also caused my browser to hang on many occasions. I do not call this usable enough, to not say that it sucks.

2/ My note to be prepared to use Linux versions of software, is because of increasing need for Flash 8+ plugins and the road to FreeBSD 9. Not to mention that a number of people can't live with out that infernally annoying website known as youTube!

3/ I do not consider downloading and opening MPlayer independently to be a 'browser plugin', if you mean making the web browser use an mplayer plugin whenever a flash plugin (et. al.) is requested for video playback , then I see your point ;-)

N.B. I use MPlayer for almost all my video playback needs, be it in a web browser and beyond.
1. I've used MPlayer Plugin for almost 5 years and never had a single crash.

2. Flash 9 works on FreeBSD with the Linux compatibility layer and nspluginwrapper quite well at least on PC-BSD. swfdec is also progressing very well. One thing that's good about swfdec is that it blocks flash content by default and that Youtube and Google Video compat are very well maintained.

3. I care about quality drivers, not raw support. If I cared about the latter, then I'd use Linux.