View Single Post
Old 5th June 2008
Arp Constable

There are only about two distros that I have any respect for, Debian and Slackware.

If I was going to setup a Linux desktop for serious (long term) use, I'd go with Slackware if possible (y) or create a personalized Linux From Scratch of my own.

I would suggest Ubuntu or going Distro-Hunting if you're inquisitive about different distros to use. Ubuntu (and PCLinuxOS I hear) are good if your starting out, and unlike Debian and Slackware -- Ubuntu actually works on my systems without 'kicking' and boots faster then Debian.

If your interest is in learning GNU/Linux systems more so, I'd look for some thing that has less hand holding and more focused for people who know the system (Slack, Crux, Arch, etc might be a good idea). If the goals just a usable working environment any desktop based system should work.

*ubuntu, PCLinuxOS, Sayabaon or w/e it is, Mandriva, etc.

Visit the websites of different distros and look around, try to find one that feels more to your tastes and needs.

The only major reason to use a canned distro is because you can't, won't, or don't want to make one for yourself lol.

Note: I don't believe in distro hopping.

Thou shalt check the array bounds of all strings (indeed, all arrays), for surely where thou typest ``foo'' someone someday shall type ``supercalifragilisticexpialidocious''.